Thursday, September 30, 2010

End of PoD #6

Here is the final installment of my end of PoD report. Thanks for reading....

Calling – the result of my discernment
In December 2009, following my sermon at the 10am service at Tea Tree Gully Uniting, and the feedback received, I felt in my spirit that ‘this is what I am called to do’, as a vocation. That is, I felt called to ordained ministry. I shared this with a few trusted people who were very affirming and not at all surprised* by this news! (*Which was a surprise to me!)

This sense of call has not left me since that time. The Ministries in the Uniting Church course really helped to confirm this for me, by both confirming what I did not feel called to, and what I did feel called to. In particular I listened to the panel of deacons, hearing about their diaconal ministry. It helped me develop a greater appreciation for this area of ministry but confirmed for me that this is not where I feel my call is focussed.
I have applied to be a candidate for minister of the Word.

Conclusion
Now, at the end of 19 months of discernment, I am amazed at how much has changed in my life, particularly with respect to my own perception of my strengths and my self confidence. I am in a very different ‘place’ to where I was when I began. I am now in a place where my nervousness in relation to worship leading and preaching has dramatically reduced and my confidence, enjoyment and passion have greatly increased. There has been unsolicited affirmation from a broad range of people during my PoD. Through this time I have been blessed with many wonderful opportunities which have really challenged me and I have grown in faith and in understanding of who I am in Christ, and what He is calling me to. I am passionate about pursuing a call to ministry in the Word and keen to learn and soak up as much as I can wherever and whenever I can to help me achieve this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment