Sunday, June 26, 2016

Change of season

Here in Adelaide winter has settled in. Cold mornings, rain, floods, king tides and rumours of snow in the Adelaide hills.

I too find myself in a new season. On my first day of holidays I can look back at the last few months and reflect. I can look forward to this next week as a time to catch up on study and start sorting through my paperwork mess at home. I can look forward to a relaxing time next week with Paul on the Murray in a houseboat. And I can look forward to a new season of ministry when I return in a few weeks.

Reflecting back, along with the BCUC community, we have experienced a season of shock and grief, following the tragic news of the death of the son of my colleague Matthew Bond (and his wife, my friend Ruthmary Bond). For 3 months we  journeyed together as a congregation grieving with the Bond family and continuing the ministry of Christ, uncertain as to when Matthew would be ready to return. 
In recent weeks Matthew returned, beginning a time of transition as he settled back in to ministry life and I tried to bring him up up to speed on what had been happening. His description of this time was insightful. He described it as trying to jump onto a moving train. 

I am so grateful for the love, support and prayers I have received from the Uniting Church Presbytery, my supervisor, BCUC leaders and congregation members, Uniting College faculty and staff, close friends, family and most of all, my husband Paul. So many people have offered support and have prayed. For this I am so thankful.

What have I learned from the season? 
I learned that we are made to be in community and it is through the community that the Spirit moves and that we are blessed. 
I learned that effective missional leadership in a time of crisis calls for much prayer, high communication, deep honesty and vulnerability, modelling and encouraging a slower pace and focusing on peace, drawing on the resources of the body (through the local congregation, the presbytery, supervision, colleagues and friends), and constant re-evaluation of Christ's call on his church at this time and in this place.

Now, after 4 intense months of ministry, it is time to hit the Pause button.  

I'll be reflecting on the 23rd Psalm:
"He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul."

Ahhh.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment