Wednesday, October 16, 2013

enneagram part 2



A little while ago as part of a Unit I am doing (spirituality for 21st century disciples) we looked at the Enneagram. This was an opportunity to look at the shape of my personality and celebrate my own distinctiveness – acknowledging that I need to grow and mature as I aim to become more Christlike in my discipleship journey.   

This is the second time I have been introduced to the Enneagram. 
After the last time, I reflected further and wondered if I am a 2 or a 7

As part of a journaling exercise I paid for an online test and undertook the Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator. 
The result… a tie between 2 and 7! (LOL! )   

One comment that I read on the Riso-Hudson report suggested that if I am a woman, and 2 is one of the tied types, then I should look at the next type because many women default to a 2. How fascinating! It is almost like 2 is what I feel like I should be – and 7 is what I really am (and want to be). It speaks of some of the rebellion in me as I grew up – I think wanted to be a 7 (not that I knew about the Enneagram) but felt I was being put into a 2-shaped box (and still put that pressure on myself now).
I have found this exercise to be quite liberating. Reading the descriptor for Type 7 The Enthusiast is like reading a description of me – both the positives and the negatives!


Have you spent time reflecting on the shape of your personality and celebrating your distinctiveness?   

How challenging to read about the areas for growth and recognise some of myself in there!

2 comments:

  1. I was a full blown 2, and very high 1 and 4 when i did the test. But from reading the descriptors, I reckon I'm probably more 1 than 2. maybe i'm not admitting my 4ness. This was 10-15 years ago now

    ReplyDelete