Wednesday, September 29, 2010

End of PoD #5

My time of exile
After resigning from the position of Events Manager in the Presbytery and Synod Office, I gained employment working as an Event Coordinator for Novita Children’s Services. I remained in that role for 11 months, from September 2008 to August 2009. During this time I gained really helpful experience working in the charity sector, learning about sponsorship, marketing, event management professional practice and working in a secular workplace.

‘Exile’ may seem a strong word, but while I was at Novita, I was very keenly aware of my separation from the Uniting Church. Even though I was still involved in worship ministry at my local congregation, I experienced a profound sense of loss and grief, particularly from the gatherings of the wider church (Presbytery and Synod meetings, KCO and SAYCO).
I realised that I had come to love God’s people so much that I didn’t want to be separated from them. A number of factors caused me to consider leaving my employment at Novita, one of them being a lack of passion, meaning that I wasn’t willing to work in the stressful environment I was in at the time. I started looking back at the Uniting Church to see what opportunities might be available and applied for the Administration Assistant role at Uniting College. I was so willing to return to the Uniting Church community, and for a season, to find a role with reduced stress, that I applied, even though it would mean a significant drop in salary and therefore financial sacrifice for my family. Later, when looking back at this time, I journalled how much I love the people of the Uniting Church and how much I had missed them, and that I felt a strong sense of call to serve the wider church.

Last month, the Moderator Elect invited me to be his worship coordinator for the October Presbytery and Synod meetings during his term as Moderator. When he asked me, I felt again an overwhelming sense that this is what I am called to do.

Understanding of Ministry and Mission in the Uniting Church in Australia.

Having worked in the Presbytery and Synod office for over 7 years I felt that I already had a good understanding of the mission and ministry of the Uniting Church. My goal then was to develop a deeper understanding of this area. I did this through the course Ministries in the Uniting Church in Australia, which I did in Semester One this year and through participation in Professional Ethics in Ministry Settings. Ministries in the Uniting Church in particular was a helpful way to understand the different ministries, lay and ordained, and I had lots of opportunity to reflect on which areas I felt called to.


Coming soon... the last installment: Part #6 (Calling – the result of my discernment)

No comments:

Post a Comment