Friday, September 24, 2010

End of PoD #2

It seems a bit strange... blogging while the rest of my family is sick with swine flu. But there's not a lot I can do, other than keeping my distance. So here's part 2...

Major influences in discernment and growth areas

Ministry experience
In addition to my ongoing regular commitment of leading worship once or twice a quarter at the 10am service at my congregation, my minister, Phil invited me to start preaching as part of my PoD. From terrified beginnings, I have come to love preaching and have been overwhelmed by the affirmations I have received along the way.
I was also invited to preach at Seacombe Uniting in June this year and Kersbrook Uniting in July. These were wonderful experiences where I worked with the local worship leaders to prepare the services in two very different churches.
Up to the time of writing this report I have preached 15 times.

In October 2009, I had the privilege to lead worship for the women’s Emmaus Walk at Nunyara - a 4 day, short-term faith community. This was a wonderful experience. I really enjoyed preparing the songs, teaching them to the team at training days prior to the Walk, then leading some very special times of worship.

My Minister, Phil also suggested that I lead a Bible study for a term. This is my current ministry focus. My small group, the Houghton Hillbillies, has been very generous in allowing me to lead them. I have really enjoyed this experience. Studying God’s Word together on a weekly basis, asking deep faith questions, sharing our pastoral needs and praying together for each other and others we know, are all regular practices for our group.

Another new experience, which I am about to embark on, is leading in the sacrament of Communion. The presbytery has licensed me, and the youth coordinator in my congregation, to preside over Communion, while we have no minister in placement. We have just been trained, and I am really looking forward to leading in this sacrament.

part 3 coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment