Wednesday, July 7, 2010

deadlines

Deadlines.... my friend and my enemy.

As a procrastinator, I rely on deadlines. With a deadline, I know when the 'last minute' will be. I can't help myself. I research, I talk, think and ponder, but I just can't put my thoughts onto paper in a coherent way until I feel a deadline fast approaching.
But then comes the enemy... the sheer panic. What if I run out of time to complete this thing? ..or printer ink? ..or paper?
It really is a love / hate relationship.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (Douglas Adams)

So here I am yet again, watching several deadlines woosh past...
Overdue assignments, sermon for 3 services this Sunday, a portfolio to compile, a church council meeting to prepare for, promises to keep..

and then I remember another quote from Invictus:
"We need inspiration: we must all exceed our expectations" (Mandela to Francois, the rugby captain)

and Philippians 3

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment